These frequently asked questions will be updated over time.
- Q: Where in Sheffield will Social Work England be based?
- A: The premises we are negotiating are 10 minutes’ walk from the station with good public transport links.
- Q: Would you consider this on a secondment for any length of time?
- A: We are very open to consider secondments.
- Q: After the initial 6-12 months, might it be possible to introduce flexible working, i.e. 1 or 2 days a week remote working?
- A: We aim to offer our staff flexibility whilst ensuring we meet business needs.
- Q: Do you have to be a social worker to apply for these posts?
- A: We are looking for people with a diverse range of skills, knowledge and experience. Knowledge of the regulatory or social care sector is desirable but not essential for most posts. Each post will have a clear set of specifications both essential and desirable.
- Q: Are any of the roles open to International applicants with experience? If so, should I follow the same process or a different process is required?
- A: As long as you have the legal right to reside and work in the UK then we would welcome an application following the same process as other applicants.
- Q: I am a civil servant, if I was successful in securing a post in Social Work England can I bring my terms and conditions with me, including pension and leave?
- A: We are public servants rather than civil servants and operate different terms and conditions. There is no right for civil servants to have to continuous service for pension, holiday, sick pay or any other terms and conditions. A move for a Civil Servant to Social Work England is treated in much the same way as it would be to any other organisation outside of the Civil Service. You would join on us on our terms and conditions. There is also an option to join Social Work England on secondment if that was something you would want to consider.
Q: Where can I find out more about working in Sheffield?
- A: Sheffield is a great place to live and work. Our city has a thriving grassroots creative arts community and around a third of Sheffield lies within the borders of the Peak District National Park. The Guardian recently did a ‘Discover’ feature on Sheffield and you can find out more about what’s on in Sheffield on the Our Favourite Places site.
- You may also find these links useful: