Over the coming months we will be consulting with the social work sector to help shape the development of our key regulatory areas, through online engagement and focus groups. Our regulatory standards and our rules are interdependent and we will be consulting on both.
We will consult on two sets of standards:
- Professional standards covering standards of proficiency (the skills and expertise that social workers are required to have), standards of performance and conduct and ethics (the way that social workers are expected to work) and standards for continuing professional training and development.
- Standards of education and training covering standards to be met by social work educational courses and training.
We will consult on further rules which will focus on three key areas:
- Registration rules, including criteria for eligibility (including English language requirements), renewal and restoration, registration procedures and registration fees.
- Education and training rules, including criteria for the approval of courses and the role of inspectors of courses.
- Fitness to practise rules, including standard of acceptance, caseworker allegations drafting guidance, case examiner decision making guidance, pre-hearing case management procedure and indicative sanctions guidance for hearing panels.
We expect to launch our standards consultation activity and consult on a second set of rules in early 2019.
We currently have a consultation open focusing on appointment rules. This consultation will close at 5pm Wednesday 19 December 2018.
Find out more and respond to the consultation here.